Jim got his professional start in the energy industry and he understands firsthand the energy challenges facing our country. Jim strongly supports energy independence as a national goal that strengthens national security and the economy. Reliable, affordable energy affects every Utah family and business and Jim believes that the energy portfolio of the future will include a mix of traditional fossil fuel sources, innovative methods to produce oil and natural gas domestically and cutting-edge renewable technologies.
Increasing Domestic Oil and Gas Production
- Jim has called for a comprehensive energy plan where everything is on the table, starting with increased domestic energy exploration and production.
- Jim has voted for increased domestic drilling as a means to meet our growing energy needs. He has worked to streamline the process for companies seeking to drill for oil and gas on- and off-shore and provide a reasonable timeline for public comment and approving permits.
- Two thirds of petroleum is imported from foreign countries, but 98% of our natural gas is produced right here at home. Jim has championed a comprehensive plan to pave the way for Utahns to change how they power their vehicles by encouraging private investment in natural gas refueling stations and by providing incentives for the production and purchase of natural gas vehicles.
- Utah is home to some of the largest known oil shale deposits in the world. Jim fought to encourage responsible oil shale production as part of a balanced national energy portfolio, successfully ending the moratorium on oil shale leasing on Utah’s public lands.
Safe Nuclear Power
- Nuclear power provides 20% of our electricity generation nationwide. Jim supports nuclear power as a clean-burning, carbon-emission-free energy source as long as the development of nuclear power plants occurs together with advances in nuclear waste storage and strict safety standards.
More Renewable Energy
- Jim is fighting to streamline the regulatory process to encourage renewable energy production on Utah public lands, which are rich in renewable energy potential.
Smarter Use of Energy
- Jim is a strong supporter of home weatherization projects and upgrading federal and commercial buildings to be more energy efficient. Those efforts create good jobs while reducing energy bills.